Most of us are familiar with David Letterman’s “Top 10” lists, the “best-dressed” and “worst-dressed” lists, etc. Time magazine released its “Top 10 of Everything 2012 with a whopping 55 lists in numerous categories. Here’s their list of the top 10 tech gadgets for 2012:
- iPhone 5
- Nintendo Wii U
- Sony Cybershot RX100 camera
- Raspberry Pi Model B
- Lytro light field camera
- Apple Macbook Pro 15″ with Retina Display
- Microsoft Surface with Window RT
- Samsung Galaxy Note II
- Nest thermostat
- Simple TV
The list includes two of the best smartphones, a new tablet and a notebook with a stunning display–no surprise. What did surprise–and intrigue–me is the innovation and ingenuity in three items on the list:
Raspberry Pi is a $35 computer. Yes, you heard this correctly! It’s stripped down to bare essentials; all you need is a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
- The Lytro camera captures the direction of light rays, as well as color and intensity, letting the user refocus photos after they’re taken. It’s by no means a pocket camera, but it is affordable.
- The Nest learning thermostat incorporates simple form and function, with a touch screen display. Former Apple employees designed it.
You can view all 55 TIME Top 10 of Everything lists here.