Verdantix named IHS, Enablon and SAP as the leaders in the enterprise environmental management software market in its report, Green Quadrant® Environmental Management Software (Global) 2012. Enviance, Locus Technologies and BSI group are in the second tier.
Verdantix defines environmental management software as
enterprise-scale software that enables firms to capture, analyse and report data, and manage performance across their assets on environmental indicators such as air, green house gases, water, waste and toxic chemicals.
The U.K.-based research firm used their proprietary methodology to evaluate the capabilities of 12 firms in 19 areas. Other findings of note:
- Overall spending on environmental management software will increase over the next three years in 60% of companies with revenues of $1 billion or more.
- Spending on sustainability will increase in 2012 vs. 2012 in nearly 60% of companies surveyed.
- Greenhouse gas, hazardous waste and water top the list of customer’s monitoring requirements.
- Automated task management, notifications and workflows are important.
- Customers want to integrate/interface other data sources with their environmental management system.
- Customers prefer to buy from large environmental/sustainability software firms.
- Two-thirds prefer that the software firm or an engineering/sustainability consultant implement the software.
For more information, see the full report.